Books to improve your writing

Things have been a little quiet on the blog front recently while I was on a completely unplugged holiday. It was wonderful to have a whole week without the Internet, phones or TV. What I did do was some old fashioned reading. A lot of reading - I managed to get through several great books. With so much spare time I took the opportunity to re-read a couple of my favorite books on writing and a new one which I had been wanting to read for some time.

Here are my recommendations for three top books to improve your writing:

The Elements of Style by Strunk and White

This is a book worth keeping on your desk or bedside table and re-reading every now and then. I try to go through it once a year to remind myself what I should be doing and to catch all those bad habits which creep into our writing.

The Associated Press Stylebook (Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law)

This is the bible for me. It's a very useful guide to have and to be familiar with. Many news companies and websites ask for familiarity with AP Style for job applications. If you start using it regularly in your freelance work then you will be ready for any copy tests at a job interview.

Stephen King On Writing

This was a new book for me this vacation. I've wanted to read it for some time after many recommendations. It's a fascinating combination of memoir of a great writer plus tips and encouragement. Much of the advice applies to fiction writing rather than news or articles but there are so many great points for all writers. My favorite is the advice to reduce your piece by 10% when you proof read.

4 comments:

Richard Teahon said...

Hi

The books do look like good guides and good reads, especially the Stephen King one. Another good read for any writer is "The Spooky Art" by Norman Mailer. Like Stephen King's effort it has good recollections and advice for both old and new writers.

Heidi Mann said...

I just read "On Writing" as well (most of it! -- had to return it to the library before I got a chance to finish -- will have to request it again!). Loved it! My favorite part was where the editor he worked for in high school said (as paraphrased by King), "Write with the door closed. Rewrite with the door open. Your stuff starts out being just for you, in other words, but then it goes out. Once you know what the story is and get it right...it belongs to anyone who wants to read it."

seo consultor said...

Great blog. Very intresting.

contenido web said...

I agree with Richard